- A curriculum assists training organisations to determine what the students need to know, it sets the standard of training.
- The curriculum defines what students should know and be able to do by the end of training.
- The curriculum / syllabus supports trainers and teachers alike in providing high-quality learning experiences for all students.
- The curriculum / syllabus is expected to be up-to-date and provide an insight into how the professions being trained for are in-line with the current practices and future trends.
- The syllabus provides an instrument for effective learning and teaching strategies that could be additionally supported by research and practice.
- The syllabus initiates discussions concerning curriculum integration within and across different subjects.
- The curriculum defines the standard to be set for evaluating student / trainee performance.
- The curriculum provides “outsiders” (private sector, government agencies) within an insight into the contents and training approach.