- It fills existing gaps in poverty information at the national level.
- It emphasises the feedback, discussion and actual use of the information generated.
- It relies on and incorporates information from other monitoring efforts, including statistical exercises.
- It has a firmly established institutional base in existing national agencies, involving stakeholders and decision-makers at various levels throughout the process.
- It stresses capacity building and knowledge transfer to organisations at national and decentralised levels to allow them carry out future rounds of the exercise.
- CoIMPact can be of use in both the formulation and subsequent adaptation and amendment of policy initiatives, and is implemented with the intention that its findings will influence policy.
- The results of using the method highlights how policies impact on different groups in different ways.